Saturday, May 1, 2004

Back home, drinking coffee, watching Saint Paul gr...

Back home, drinking coffee, watching Saint Paul green up. There is some warbler working an ash tree in my backyard. Also a black cat with white throat jumping early nettles and harassing a squirrel. Yellow rumpeds, now several of them. Cold morning, but they seem to be doing well gleaning, one is doing a bit of hawking. A great blue heron going by, following the river. Though this house has problems innumerable, being on a bluff, overlooking the river valley, with open sky over the riparian corridor is a great compensation.



This Saturday morning listening to The Garden of Zephirus: Courtly songs of the early fifteenth century, Gothic Voices with Christopher Page director. This is one of my all time favorite recordings. It's one of those rare things which survives association. My mother gave it to me one Christmas when I was still living with my ex who killed herself. I played it non stop for a certain period and she too was very fond of it. Despite this, these voices singing very simple love songs, ballads and rounds move me into dreamtime and peacetime and open source godness. Chocolate melting on the tongue, strawberry kisses, warm sun soaking into skin. I love this music.



J'atendray tant qu'il vous playra

A vous declarer ma pensee,

Ma tres chiere dame honouree;

Je ne say s'il m'en desplayra.




I will wait as long as you wish

before declaring my thoughts to you,

my most dear and honoured lady;

I do not know if I will suffer for it.




I said they were very simple songs, but interesting that love songs haven't changed much in six hundred years.



Getting used to the idea of being here, rhythyms and smells and Mary, phone calls and mail. This city is so different from Washington, it's like being in a different country.

No comments:

Post a Comment